History of our Village Hall
Before Barroway Drove had a Village Hall, meetings and events took place in the school. However, in 1949 a new Women’s Institute was formed, with 80 members attending; this group decided that the village needed a Hall where they, and other groups, could meet.
Land was given by the Lewis family and after much hard work fundraising a new Hall was opened in 1952. The new Hall was very well used and appreciated by village residents, with many different groups using it on a regular basis – at that time the village even had its own drama group!
Children at the opening of the previous Hall The WI at the Hall they funded The Drama Group
By the late 1970’s the ‘new’ Hall was starting to show it’s age so fundraising began again.
The current Hall was opened by Mr & Mrs Feetham (nee Lewis) in 1982, when a grand event was held to mark the occasion.
The Opening of the Current Hall
The current Hall has had its fair share of dramas, including a period of closure in the 1990’s, when a problem with the roof was discovered. The Hall costs around £6000 per year to maintain but continues to serve residents well and will hopefully do so for many more years to come.
An article in the paper about the Hall Opening